2020: Through the Viewfinder

2020, the year I had been eagerly anticipating, began as though merely a continuation of the previous year. After all, we finally got the new furniture in the office at work that we had been expecting for a while, and on my new desk I placed a vase with shiny stones and a fake fish as a continuation of an inside joke. I was still dealing with some frustrations at work.



Eventually, things started to happen. A person that many had been praying would visit church visited church, my nephew turned one, and I made my first solo flight down to North Carolina to visit a friend.


February

Then, some losses. Several employees, gone; many of them I would miss. To my delight, our inconsiderate neighbors with a barking dog moved to another state. The worst loss of all was the death of a dearly loved employee from cancer; our loss, however, was her gain as she got her hug from Jesus.

March

Things began to look up a bit as we had a lovely weekend spending time with some relatives, including a day exploring some of State College. It was a short reprieve. 

Covid happened in the United States and my workplace - a large restaurant - was shut down on March 17. Thankfully, God uses all things, and what was a time of panic for many brought an incredible time of peace for me, which you can read about in my 3-part blog posts on fear: it made me a fool, it made me unpleasant, it makes no sense in love. I taught myself to watercolor paint; I rediscovered the joy of writing; I took walks; I had more time to spend with God. 

It was an odd but beautiful time that was only marred by my brother's mysterious illness, which turned out to be from the damage of a nerve from a head injury. Recovery took time.





April

As the Covid saga continued, I ended up working where my mom works, packaging candy. The days kept marching on. Resurrection Sunday came and went. Flowers kept blooming.



May

Beauty broke forth with the spring. I stood as a bridesmaid for a dear friend's beautiful outdoor wedding. Another lovely day found me enjoying a hike with my mom, sister, niece, and nephew. Our church's regathering services were filled with the joy of fellowship and worshipping together once again. 



June

A unique month with its own share of fun, June found me caught in the rain while hiking and my dad calling Nutella "hazelnut jelly." We enjoyed a family vacation at an old farmhouse and hikes at the nearby state park. For the first time in months I was back at work, helping a few times with takeout and helping to get ready for our reopening.





July

July 9 we were back to work with special changes for Covid safety, which were a great success. It was a time of change - incredible amounts of change - in staff, procedures, scheduling, and more. But the world was beginning to open up and live again.

August

It may be silly, but I couldn't resist purchasing a set of on-sale alphabet cookie cutters. (Honestly, how can you blame me?) The cookies I made from them were fun. In the midst of the warm summertime, however, my dad got sick. Whether it was Covid or not is still a debate in my mind, since even the doctors couldn't decide with 100% certainty, but he recovered at home (though quarantined away from the rest of us) and life went on. A girls' (well, plus my nephew) weekend at a rental along a bay in Delaware was a relaxing end to a busy month. 



September

The old and new came together in multiple ways as fall began to sneak in. In more ways than one it was a new season as I stopped riding in the middle of two seasons and fully committed to becoming a member of my current church, joined a connect group there, and felt the peace of a well-made decision. And at last, the issue of Daughters of Promise magazine arrived that held my published article, with photographs by a very dear friend. In second grade we said I would write books and she would illustrate them; this was simply an adult version of a childhood dream. 

October

My favorite month, full of color and sensory proof that change can be beautiful, arrived, busy as usual. Work was busy, and yet when they found out it was my birthday, a few of my employees made time to surprise me with a cake, singing (which I tried futilely to stop), and a napkin card signed by several others. Our annual October weekend escape to a cabin and hiking trails was a restful retreat with family.





November

A slowing pace found me connecting with my sister, visiting a friend's new house, and catching up with a friend visiting from North Carolina with tea, coffee, and stories of what God has been doing all year long. Thanksgiving was restful, the food was delightful, and I was so very grateful. 

December

I tried to keep that gratefulness even as a new mandate shut our restaurant down again. Takeout again, but even that looked a little different this time. On the plus side, at least I could enjoy a couple snow days without having to worry about going in to work. My brother and I had a unique adventure walking in the rain to get to one of the abandoned PA Turnpike tunnels to explore.



So what did I learn?

Avocado toast is delicious and so is MOD Pizza and the Cheesecake Factory.  
Webster's Bookstore Cafe in State College is a unique experience and I could get lost in there for hours.
For the first time in my life I enjoy painting.
I'll have another baby nephew come February. 
ThriftBooks is the next best thing when the libraries are closed and I'm out of books.
If I get bored enough I will take pictures of flowers.
A few more leadership lessons. 
It's really hard to write mad libs.
It's also really hard to make cut-out cookies with my new alphabet cookie cutters when it's too warm.
Having a breakfast crew is awesome.
Waling in the rain with hiking boots and a raincoat is ok; getting caught in a downpour while hiking is not.
Most important of all, God taught me more about who I am to Him and helped me figure out what I'm truly passionate about and what that may look like someday, along with way more than I could write for this post.


Though this year is ending on a strange, quiet note with still a haze of uncertainty in the air, I can rest assured knowing that my God never changes and He is always good. And I am so excited to see what He does next year in 2021!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023: Newness & Renewal

A Father's Love

Fear: it made me unpleasant